Church is one of the ancient parish churches of the Isle of
Man, dating from the establishment of the parochial system
in perhaps the twelfth century. The nave seems to contain
surviving mediaeval fabric, notably the west gable, but much
has been altered and rebuilt over the years.
chancel dates from 1781 and the north transept (known nas
the 'Wing') from 1783. The whole church was unfortunately
re-roofed in 1929. Considerable damage was done to the building
by inappropriate cement-rendering and other ill-treatment
in the 1980's, which the Friends are now reversing.
current arrangement of the interior dates from the fifty years
after 1783, with relatively minor Victorian interventions.
remains officially the parish church for the parish of that
name (which includes Derbyhaven, Ballasalla, Grenaby, Ballamodha
and St Mark's, but no longer Castletown). Since the early
1980's the Abbey Church in Ballasalla has increasingly become
the focus of modern church activities. An Anglican congregation
still uses Malew for prayer-book services on a weekly basis,
however, and funerals are held there regularly as the churchyard
is the only burial ground for Castletown and most of Malew.
Friends have published a short guidebook to the church, written
by Jonathan Kewley. A new up-to-date edition is now in the
course of preparation and should be on sale in the church
in May 2010.