During 2014 'The Friends' were fortunate in receiving GRANTS towards the restoration and conservation of St Lupus Malew Parish Church which included:
£1000 from The Victorian Society towards repair and replacement of Roof Lights
£1000 from the Malew PCC towards repair and replacement of Roof Lights
£10,000 from The Manx Lottery Trust for stripping and repairing South Nave wall
£10,151 from The Crown Estate for repairs and conservation of the Three Walls of the Chancel .... ongoing
Applications are also underway for repairs to the West End Gable, the North Exterior Walls and Bell Cote.
interior at Malew survived pretty well until 1960, give or
take some regrettable but relatively minor Victorian interventions
at the crossing. In that year, however, the pews at the east
end were cleared away, and in two stages, then and in the
early 1980's, the area was fitted with the most appalling
and inappropriate light-wood fittings.
have now obtained permission to reverse this and restore the
north-east and south-east pews (the Ronaldsway and Bowling
Green Pews, respectively) as a setting for the Queen Anne
altar from St Mary's, Castletown. It has taken a while to
source local craftsmen with the necessary skills to do the
work, but we hope it will all be finished by summer 2010.
have obtained permission to remove the dreadful boarding-house-style
carpet from the church, to reveal the original stone floors
- ledgerstones in the nave and 'wing', and nineteenth-century
limestone in the chancel. However, there is a run of about
45' in the nave and 8' in the wing without any stone floor,
just bare (we presume post-War) concrete.
this, permission has been obtained to lay new ledgerstones
- the same size and material as original seventeenth or eighteenth
century ledgerstones, but with contemporary inscriptions,
designed by contemporary artists. We have been fortunate to
work with Memorials
by Artists who have helped us select some of the leading
letterers in Britain today.
the (substantial) costs of a hand-carved work of art, we have
been very fortunate in obtaining generous sponsorship from
a number of members and others. Under the scheme, those sponsoring
a stone can choose the inscription - perhaps to a member of
their family, or a distinguished figure from the past not
otherwise memorialised - or indeed leave it blank for their
own name in due course.
hoped to lay the stones of Phase I later in 2010. If anyone
might be interested in sponsoring a stone in Phase II, please
contact Jonathan Kewley.
Lavatory and Staff Rest-room
not a Friends' project - it is being orgainised by the Malew
Burial Ground Authority, the local authority responsible for
Malew churchyard - but the Friends have assisted with advice
on design suitability.
is to provide an up-to-date disabled lavatory for visitors
to the churchyard, and also up-to-date facilities for maintenance
staff working in the churchyard.
by Anna Begbie and Val Lloyd of Architecture-in-Mann, is very
sensitive but at the same time imaginative; it will be detached
from the church building but be near it, in the angle between
the nave and the 'wing'.It will be stone but not whitewashed,
thus expressing its lower place in the hierarchy of buildings
1980's the building was misguidedly rendered with a hard cement
render which ,as well as ruining the external appearance of
the church, has trapped damp in the walls; the effect can
be seen on the internal west gable and to the left of the
have obtained permission to remove this render, re-point where
necessary with lime mortar and then re-render the south and
west walls with lime render, leaving the other walls limewashed
(as they were until the '80's). Our architect is the local
lime expert Ashley Pettit of Ashley
to the Chancel will be funded by the Crown Estates Commissioners,
whose legal responsibility it is, but grant assistance will
have to be obtained for the rest.
shortly to be at the tender stage.
1980's, St Mary's Church, Castletown, by the local Regency
architect Thomas Brine, was quite scandalously gutted and
its intact fittings from the 1820's destroyed.
advertised for the owners of its many marble monuments, but
those (the vast majority) which were not claimed were abandoned,
and it was thought that they had all ended up smashed in skips.
it turned out that a few public-spirited individuals had managed
to save some, and the Friends resolved to re-erect them in
Malew Church - which was, after all, always the parish church
has been obtained, and the first three were put up in 2009
on the east wall. They are a black marble to John Wood, an
eighteenth-century Governor, and two white marbles to members
of the Quayle family of Rushen House, founders of the Castletown
Brewery. Jonathan Kewley gave a detailed account of them at
the Friends' AGM in April 2009.
is a long way to go, however. There are four more monuments
from St Mary's to go up (including the finest of the lot,
that to Daniel Callow MHK). It costs well into four figures
simply to put each monument back, without the restoration
work which is also often needed. Any donations would therefore
be most welcome - please contact Rupert
also possessed a marble altar slab given by Lord Derby in
1704. This was, very fortunately, rescued with some of the
monuments and is to be re-erected at Malew as part of the
restoration of the east end. It comes with Victorian stone
legs commissioned by the late Canon Ferrier.